Building Healthy Habits:
100 Resources for Your Habit Forming Journey
By Tauras Sinkus
We all know that swapping your bad habits for healthy ones is not an easy journey. After all, it takes at least 21 days to build a habit.
It’s 504 hours, 30,240 minutes or 1,814,400 seconds. Sounds a lot? It’s also only 0.057 of the whole year. See, it all depends on how you look at it. Here at 21 Day Hero, we believe that a successful habit upgrade can start with as little as 5 minutes per day.
Given that you are well committed and prepared.
We have gathered exactly 100 handy resources to help you in your healthy habit building journey.
Apps that will keep track of your habit building, books to get inspired, academic resources for some scientific knowledge and many online resources to make sure that self-improvement becomes a way of life.
Go ahead and explore.
37 Habit Building
and Tracking Apps
No matter if you are looking to spend less time scrolling social media timelines or finally drink those 8 glasses of water per day we all sometimes tend to be a little forgetful.
Luckily technology can help with keeping track of your habit building journey even better than you. These apps can send reminders, congratulate on streaks or sum up your progress in neat graphs.
Find out more about habit tracking apps in our blogpost Top 31 Habit Tracking Apps to Track and Build Any Habit.
Are you an avid reader already? Or is the habit of daily reading something you want to develop next?
Hint: if you need a little nudge, we have a 21-Day Book Reading Challenge.
Either way, here are 17 books worth putting on your to-read list if you are curious about the power of habits.
Many of these books are bestsellers and have helped people find inspiration to make bigger or smaller habit changes.
- “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” by James Clear
- “Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself” by Dr. Joe Dispenza
- “Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success” by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, David Maxfield, Ron McMillan & Al Switzler
- “Daily Rituals: How Artists Work” by Mason Currey
- “Drive” by Daniel Pink
- “Hooked” by Nir Eyal
- “Make It Stick” by Peter C. Brown, Henry Roediger, Mark McDaniel
- “Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don’t, and How to Make Any Change Stick” by Jeremy Dean
- “Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results” by Stephen Guise
- “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell
- “Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard” by Chip Heath & Dan Heath
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen R. Covey
- “The Habit Blueprint: 15 Simple Steps to Transform Your Life” by Patrik Edblad
- “The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)” by Hal Elrod
- “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg
- “The Slight Edge” by Jeff Olson
- “Willpower” by John Tierney and Roy Baumeister
13 Leading Universities
Habit building science is continually evolving and developing.
Thanks to big Universities and their researchers we can now back the process of habit building with scientific facts.
If you are looking for some proven habit building science and research, here’s the list of Universities most committed to figuring out the patterns of human mind.
- Duke University, Center for Advanced Hindsight
- Columbia University, Department of Psychology
- Cornell University, The Department of Psychology
- Harvard University, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Harvard University, Psychology Department
- Johns Hopkins University, Department of Health, Behavior, and Society
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
- New York University, Psychology Department
- Oxford University, Department of Experimental Psychology
- Stanford University, Behavior Design Lab
- The University of California San Diego, Psychology Department
- The University of California San Francisco, Department of Psychiatry
- University College London, The Research Department of Behavioural Science and Health
11 Leading Researchers
There is a science behind the process of habit building and these 11 researchers are the main experts in the field.
They are on the quest to find out how our mind works in the habit building process and how to make sure your good habits stick.
- Prof. Adam Grant (University of Pennsylvania)
- Prof. Ann Graybiel (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Prof. BJ Fogg (Stanford University)
- Prof. Christina Gremel (UC San Diego)
- Prof. Dan Ariely (Duke University)
- Prof. Daniel Kahneman (Princeton University)
- Prof. Ellen Langer (Harvard University, The Langer Mindfulness Institute)
- Prof. Kelly McGonigal (Stanford University)
- Prof. Lee Ross (Stanford University)
- Prof. Peter Gollwitzer (New York University)
- Prof. Richard Thaler (The University of Chicago)
4 Youtube channels
Looking for some video inspiration?
These 4 YouTube channels are full with useful content to keep you motivated and find out new habit building tips and tricks.
With videos as short as 8 minutes, you can find out “What to Do When You’re Too Lazy to Stick to Your Habits” or answer the question “Does meditation really work?”.
Next time you are thinking of watching yet another funny cat video on YouTube, try exploring one of these channels instead.
- Freedom in Thought
- Improvement Pill
- Project Better Self
- Thomas Frank
For all the podcast lovers, here are the podcast shows bringing you habit building science in an audio format.
Podcasts are perfect for multitasking – listen to some habit building tips during your daily commute or make it as a part of your morning ritual and start your day with a new podcast episode in the background.
- Bite Sized Habits
- Habits 2 Goals
- High performance habits with Brendon Burchard
- Life Habits Podcast By Karel Vredenburg
- Stoic Habits By Matt Schmidt
- Dan Erickson – Simple Habits for Life
- Develop Good Habits – A Better Life One Habit at a Time
- Charles Duhigg – The Power of Habit
- Gretchen Rubin
- James Clear
- Paul Rayner
- Selfication by Patrik Edblad
- Super Power Habits
- The Habit Factor
- The Habit Space
- The Pinkcast by Daniel Pink
- Whole Life Challenge
- Zen Habits by Leo Babauta
WANT TO BUILD HEALTHY HABITS BUT NEED MORE GUIDANCE?
Want to make a positive change in your life, get stronger and more focused but feeling overwhelmed with all the information out there?
Looking for an easy way to transform your life and replace bad habits, and would love for someone to tell you exactly what you need to do every day?
We got your back. We condensed the leading habit building science and personal experience into an 8-week Morning Routine Upgrade Program. As part of the program, you will get to develop a perfect 15 min morning routine that will allow you to start your mornings strong, focused and with intention every day.
We are currently forming next groups and still got few seats left – hurry up to confirm your seat.