Suffering from a headache while fasting? We look into what causes a fasting headache and how to successfully cure it with one of the 4 tips.
Do you feel confused about fasting and eating windows when doing Intermittent Fasting?
Thinking of starting Intermittent Fasting but not sure what time you should start or stop eating?
Maybe you’re looking for the best way to track your fasts and lose weight?
Yes, I get you – I felt the same.
Luckily there are a bunch of intermittent fasting apps (a.k.a. time-restricted eating apps) available that come to rescue.
In this fasting app review, I will share with you what I consider to be the 10 best intermittent fasting apps as of 2020.
In case you still got some questions, don’t miss the very end of the page with intermittent fasting apps FAQ. I will go more in details in how some of the best fasting apps work, which is the best water fasting app and more.
Top Intermittent Fasting Apps Review: Criteria
When doing research on which apps to review, I went to the app stores, Google, Reddit, Quora, friends, and Youtube and chose the 10 best fasting apps below as my favorites.
I’ve tried to look for both more fresh, perhaps a bit less known (but still very good) apps, as well as some of the most downloaded ones.
Also, the first 3 of my chosen apps were happy to collaborate and make this review possible, so a big thanks goes to them.
Then I looked at the following criteria:
- User Experience
- User Interface
- Premium options
Note: All data regarding functionalities and price is as of May 2020.
Top 10 Intermittent Fasting Apps
✔ iOS ✔ Android
$1.25 – $2.50 per week
Life Fasting Tracker
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium services – price varies)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
$2.99 per month (Free 7-day trial)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium for $1.99/month)
✘ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Ad-free for $1.99)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium features from $1.35/week)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium version – $2.99)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium features from $4.99)
✔ iOS ✔ Android
Free (Premium version – $4.99)
- Personalized to your weight-loss goals
- Easy-to-use Fasting Tracker
- In-app meal plan with macros and recipes
- Workouts plan with video-demos
- Weight Tracking
PRICE: From $1.25/week to $2.50/week
The first fasting app on the list is called DoFasting. Available on both Android and Apple devices, DoFasting is one of the best intermittent fasting apps I’ve tried. While most of the fasting apps are just fasting trackers, DoFasting is really sort of your personal intermittent fasting assistant.
These are the main reasons to get DoFasting app:
- Personalization. It all starts with a short quiz right at the beginning, which tailors the app to your needs and goals. It will ask you about your level of fasting expertise, eating preferences, fitness level, and a few other questions.
- Fasting Tracking. You can choose the fasting schedule you’d like to follow from 6 available presets based on difficulty as well as set your eating window times.
- Personalized meal plans. Based on your answers on the sign-up quiz, you get your daily caloric intake. It also includes recipes and macros that make following a meal plan really easy. A super handy feature if you want to improve what you eat, not only when you eat.
- Workout Plan. Based on your fitness level settings, you get workout suggestions with the full exercise plan and video demos. What’s great is that exercises are short and can be done in a home environment.
- Tips. DoFasting has a section called ‘Tips’; that is what it says – it gives you tips and knowledge on intermittent fasting. Lots of knowledge that is easily accessible at all times. Pretty standard, but really handy feature.
- Weight Tracking. Finally, you can track your weight, fasting and workout history in your PROFILE tab. I like how visual it is, shows your current weight and how much weight did you lose.
Download DoFasting App on:
2. LIFE Fasting Tracker*
- Flexible fasting tracker
- Advanced tracking features
- In-app community – Circles
- Knowledge Base on Intermittent Fasting
- Feed feature for sharing & following others
PRICE: Free (additional Premium services available)
Last year when reviewing best intermittent fasting apps, I included LIFE fasting app in the ‘up and coming’ category. This year I’ve decided to put it in the Top 10, because of all the extra features they added and a huge community they managed to build.
These are the main reasons to get LIFE Fasting Tracker app:
- Flexible fasting tracker. When you open the app, the first thing you see is a very clear fasting tracker. What’s great is how flexible setting the fasting time is. Just press the + and – buttons and easily set the number of hours you want to fast that day.
- Various tracking features. Besides fasting, you can also log your weight, waist circumference, glucose, and ketones. Probably one of the most advanced trackers as well!
- In-app community. Another feature that makes LIFE fasting app really stand out is called Circles. It’s basically an in-app fasting groups that allows you to see other users fasting, their overall fasting statistics as well as send them a DM. You can join one of the 60k existing circles or create your own with the people you know. I’ve created our own circle called 21 Day Hero Fasters – feel free to join this one!
- Collection of intermittent fasting articles and videos. Under the ‘Learn’ tab, you will find the ‘Learning Library’: plenty of science-backed information on intermittent fasting and other similar health topics and how to make this journey more successful.
- Feed feature. You also have your feed, which will fill up with posts from your fellow fasters in your circles. You can post your own updates, interact with others and simply follow each other’s journey. One of the key components needed to achieve the results you’re looking for!
- Your fasting statistics. In the ‘Profile’ section, you will have your fasting statistics all in one place. It even shows the hours in ketosis part, which is basically the part during which Intermittent Fasting does its magic.
The main version of this intermittent fasting app is free, but it also offers premium services like biomarker blood tests and real-time health coaching.
Finally, little birdies from the LIFE fasting app told me that soon they will have a scale integration, which will make weight tracking automatic. Also, you can use the login of LIFE Fasting app to their other app called LIFE Extend, which helps you to track a lot more than just fasting.
Download LIFE FASTING TRACKER APP:
3. Simple FASTING TRACKER*
The other fasting tracking app that I really love is called Simple Fasting Available on both – Apple App Store and Google Play Store. Simple stand out among other best fasting apps with the number of great features and their strong focus to help you build a foundation for a healthy life.
These are the main reasons to get Simple app:
- Personalization. Once you open the app for the first time you’ll go through a short personalization setup. You are able to set your fitness level, height and weight measures, goal weight and finally choose the type of fasting you’d like to go with. All of this will be reflected in profile stats, personalized insights, and weight tracking.
- Extended Tracking. It’s amazing how many things you can track with Simple. Fasting, weight, fluid intake, moments of hunger and even meals you’ve eaten. One of the most unique features I’ve seen is being able to track body progress by taking pictures of yourself and being able to compare how your body changes over time. It all gets tracked in your personal fasting journal which is an amazing way to keep a record of your journey.
- Simplicity. They really stand behind their name. I’ve been using this app for a couple of weeks now and I must say that everything is very straight-forward and clear. The usability of the app is one of the best I’ve seen. They have some nifty design solutions as well, which makes it easy to reach a number of important features with just one click. The average app store rating of 4.8/5 definitely proves that other users enjoy it as well!
- Guidance. If you’re a beginner in a fasting world, you’ll love this app. App tells you when to fast and when to eat and you get help at each step of the way. And it doesn’t just tell you what to do but also explains WHY you should do it or HOW to understand your body better (e.g. emotional hunger vs. physical hunger).
- Insights. It’s not the usual ‘same for all’ type of info. Part of the insights you see in the app are completely tailored to you. And the best part is that they change over time to help you gradually build better eating habits and get rid of those that don’t serve you well.
Download SIMPLE App:
Check how the top 6 fasting apps work & look in my video review:
4. Zero Calories fasting tracker
These are the main reasons to get Zero Calories Fasting Tracker app:
- Customizable tracking and design. Zero Calories App lets you customize fasting times, notifications and even theme color.
- Various types of tracking. With Zero Calories Fasting Tracker App you can you can track body measurement like weight, ketones, glucouse, water intake and body measurements.
- Group fasting to fast with friends. You can create fasting group to make intermittent fasting more social and share your results with friends.
Zero Calories Fasting tracker is an easy to use, simple fasting app that has all the basic features for intermittent fasting tracking. The app is available both on Android and iOS.
5. Fasting Tracker
These are the main reasons to get Fasting Tracker app:
- Option for various fasting schedules. DoFasting has 7 fasting schedule presets and an option to set custom fast.
- Fasting and weight history. You can track and see a history of the two main important measurements- fasting times and weight.
- Simple and easy to use. The app has just a few main features. Thus if you’re looking for a simple fasting tracking app not overloaded with features you won’t use anyway, this might be the one.
This intermittent fasting app is free to use, however it does have full-screen ads popping up that can be removed for $1.99. Fasting Tracker app is currently only available on Android.
These are the main reasons to get Zero fasting app:
- Flexible fasting times. Zero fasting app lets you pick from popular intermittent fasting types or create your own custom fast.
- History, stats and notes on your fasts and weight. You can check your fasting and weight statistics and also leave post-fast notes.
- Useful information on intermittent fasting. Zero app, you will find studies, articles, videos and podcasts to learn more about the intermittent fasting lifestyle.
Zero is one of the most best free intermittent fasting apps both for Android and iPhone devices. Oh, by the way, entrepreneur Kevin Rose also uses Zero fasting app.
These are the main reasons to get Bodyfast intermittent fasting app:
- More than 10 intermittent fasting plans available. In Bodyfast App you can choose to track the most popular intermittent fasting schedules, like 16/8, 18/6, 5-2 and others.
- Weight, body measurement and water intake tracking. This fasting app has an easy-to use tracking feature not only for your fasting and eating times but also other important measurements. Handy feature for all the intermittent fasting fans.
- Resources on intermittent fasting. Looking for more tips on IF? Bodyfast app has an in-app “knowledge pool” for intermittent fasting.
Bodyfast is available both on Android and Apple. App has a free version but premium offers the so called “BodyFast Coach” which gives access to more personalized fasting tracking.
These are the main reasons to get FastHabit intermittent fasting app:
- Flexible fasting tracking. You can choose how many hours to fast. Something came up? Feel free to stop, restart, or adjust your fast at any time.
- Statistics on your past fasting history. Fasthabit fasting tracker has streaks feature and free version gives access to data on your past 10 day fasts.
- Reminders and notifications. This fasting app has an option to choose days and times for fasting reminders and receive notifications about your ongoing fast.
Fasthabit is a popular app on Apple Store and has recently launched their Android version. It is available for free or with a one-time-purchase for a premium version.
9. MyFast - Intermittent Fasting Timer and Tracking
These are the main reasons to get MyFast intermittent fasting app:
- Weekly schedule mode. MyFast App has two fasting tracking options- manual and weekly schedule where you can plan your fasting times ahead for the whole week.
- Manual fasting tracking mode. This fasting app allows adding flexible fasting times and editing them real time.
- Fasting progress tracking. MyFast tracker visualizes your fasting history and weight loss progress in some good-looking charts.
MyFast is a high-rated app that’s available for download on AppStore and GooglePlay. App has a free version or additional premium and ad-free version for purchase.
These are the main reasons to get Vora fasting app:
- 12 fasting schedule options to choose from. Vora intermittent fasting app offers 12 types of fasting schedules to track – from the most popular 16/8 to less known ones like the Daniel Fast or Dr Jason Fung Fast.
- Manually adding fasting history. Looking to log your past fasts in a new intermittent fasting app? Vora has this handy feature.
- Social network feature. It allows you to follow other fellow fasters, publish your fasts and engage in the community.
Vora is a simple fasting tracker that has all the necessary, basic features that most people look for in an IF app. It’s available both on AppStore and Android’s GooglePlay.
FAQ on intermittent fasting apps
Which is the best free intermittent fasting app?
It’s all the matter of what you’re looking for. From my experience, Life Fasting Tracker is definitely one of the top fasting apps overall. It is completely free to use unless you are looking for additional services, for example, personal coaching sessions or blood tests.
But feel free to scroll through the list and find what would work the best for you. Almost all the apps on the list have a free version with all the necessary features to satisfy most intermittent fasting fans. Even if you opt for a premium version, it won’t cost you much more than a cup of coffee.
Which would be the best prolonged or water fasting app?
To track your water fast or extended fast times, any fasting app will do the job. All of them either have various fasting schedules to choose from or manual fasting tracking where you can add your own eating and fasting windows.
A handy feature for water fasts would be hydration or water intake tracking. My favorite apps like DoFasting and Simple App both have a feature to track your daily water intake and these apps offer various fasting schedules, which would make them the perfect water fasting apps.
How does Life Fasting app work?
Overall, Life Fasting App is easy and straight-forward to use and has all the necessary features you need to do intermittent fasting. Plus, their fasting tracker is the most flexible and easy to use I’ve seen – you can fully customize your fasting and eating times.
The one feature that makes Life Fasting Tracker stand out is the in-app community circles. You can join various groups of other like minded-people doing fasting (like “First time fasters”, “Keto Fasters” etc.) or create a new group to meet new people or add your IF friends.
Life Fasting Tracker is also very useful for people doing Keto – you can log and track ketone and glucose levels and even see hours spent in ketosis. These features I haven’t seen in any other free fasting apps.
As I said, Life fasting app is free to use, so you can try it out yourself and see if this is the fasting app you’re looking for. You can try it here.
How does DoFasting app work?
After trying DoFasting, I have to say it’s definitely not “your regular fasting app”.
At first, you fill the DoFasting quiz and get a personalized fasting plan that will help reach your chosen weight loss goal. You also get an easy-to-do workout suggestions, healthy meal plan (you can even choose your preferred diet or note any allergies) and of course access all the typical intermittent fasting app features like – statistics, various tracking options and fasting schedules. And that all comes in a nice and easy to use design.
Overall, if your goal is to get fit and lose weight, this is the app that can get you there. You can download it here.
I'm looking for a dofasting app review. Can you share your review?
How does simple fasting app work?
Simple Fasting app is another app that takes a very personalized approach to fasting. After filling a quick quiz about your current health, diet, weight loss goals and preferred fasting type; you will receive a tailored fasting program that should best fit your fasting goals. Additionally, you can track your meals, water intake, and weight changes and even add your before and after fasting photos.
Simple fasting app has a 7-day free trial, so I suggest just giving it a go. After all, the monthly subscription is only $3.00/month, which is definitely affordable if it fits your needs.
Want to know more about Intermittent Fasting?
Alright, folks, I hope you appreciate the efforts of the research and it gave you some insights into the apps mentioned.
In fact, if you wish to get started right now but need more guidance and support where and how to start exactly, sign up for our 21 Day Intermittent Fasting Challenge and get to know everything you need to successfully master the intermittent fasting diet and lifestyle.
* these fasting apps have sponsored this article. However, I would have included them anyway, because these are great apps that will help to make your intermittent fasting journey easier.
Can you lose weight by eating One Meal A Day? Find out what OMAD weight loss results you can expect and get inspired by 3 OMAD success stories.
Do stevia and intermittent fasting go together? Find out whether stevia breaks a fast and how to choose the best stevia products for your intermittent fasting lifestyle.
While doing intermittent fasting it’s essential to stay hydrated. Can you drink lemon water, enjoy it’s great benefits and still not break the fast? Check the answer here.
RESEARCH and TEXT BY:
GET FASTING DRINK LIST CHEATSHEET