What is dry fasting and is it really more effective in weight loss? In our guide learn how to start dry fasting and what benefits to expect.
Do you feel confused about fasting and eating windows when doing Intermittent Fasting?
Thinking of starting Intermittent Fasting but not sure what time you should start or stop eating?
Maybe you’re looking for the best way to track your fasts and lose weight?
Yes, I get you – I felt the same.
Luckily there are a bunch of intermittent fasting apps (a.k.a. time restricted eating apps) available that come to rescue.
In this fasting app review, I will share with you what I consider to be the 6 best intermittent fasting apps as of November 2019.
When doing research on which apps to review, I went to the app stores, Google, Reddit, Quora, friends, and Youtube and chose the 6 apps below as my favorites.
I’ve tried to look for more fresh, perhaps a bit less known (but still very good) apps, but you’ll recognize some of the most downloaded ones as well.
Also, the first 3 of my chosen apps were happy to collaborate and make this review possible, so big thanks go to them.
Then I looked at the following criteria:
- User Experience
- User Interface
- Premium options
Note: All data regarding functionalities and price is as of November 2019.
Top 6 Intermittent Fasting Apps
- Personalized to your weight-loss goals
- Easy-to-use Fasting Tracker
- In-app meal plan with macros and recipes
- Workouts plan with video-demos
- Weight Tracking
PRICE: From $1.25/week to $2.50/week
The first app on the list is called DoFasting. Available on both Android and Apple devices, DoFasting is one of the best intermittent fasting apps I’ve tried. While most of the fasting apps are just fasting trackers, DoFasting is really sort of your personal intermittent fasting assistant.
These are the main reasons to get DoFasting app:
- Personalization. It all starts with a short quiz right at the beginning, which tailors the app to your needs and goals. It will ask you about your level of fasting expertise, eating preferences, fitness level, and a few other questions.
- Fasting Tracking. You can choose the fasting schedule you’d like to follow from 6 available presets based on difficulty as well as set your eating window times.
- Personalized meal plans. Based on your answers on the sign-up quiz, you get your daily caloric intake. It also includes recipes and macros that make following a meal plan really easy. A super handy feature if you want to improve what you eat, not only when you eat.
- Workout Plan. Based on your fitness level settings, you get workout suggestions with the full exercise plan and video demos. What’s great is that exercises are short and can be done in a home environment.
- Tips. DoFasting has a section called ‘Tips’; that is what it says – it gives you tips and knowledge on intermittent fasting. Lots of knowledge that is easily accessible at all times. Pretty standard, but really handy feature.
- Weight Tracking. Finally, you can track your weight, fasting and workout history in your PROFILE tab. I like how visual it is, shows your current weight and how much weight did you lose.
Download DoFasting App on:
2. LIFE Fasting Tracker*
- Flexible fasting tracker
- Advanced tracking features
- In-app community – Circles
- Knowledge Base on Intermittent Fasting
- Feed feature for sharing & following others
PRICE: Free (additional Premium features available)
Last year when reviewing intermittent fasting apps, I included LIFE Fasting Tracker in the ‘up and coming’ category. This year I’ve decided to put it in the Top 6, because of all the extra features they added and a huge community they managed to build.
These are the main reasons to get LIFE Fasting Tracker app:
- Flexible fasting tracker. When you open the app, the first thing you see is a very clear fasting tracker. What’s great is how flexible setting the fasting time is. Just press the + and – buttons and easily set the number of hours you want to fast that day.
- Various tracking features. Besides fasting, you can also log your weight, waist circumference, glucose, and ketones. Probably one of the most advanced trackers as well!
- In-app community. Another feature that makes this fasting app really stand out is called Circles. It’s basically an in-app fasting groups that allows you to see other users fasting, their overall fasting statistics as well as send them a DM. You can join one of the 60k existing circles or create your own with the people you know. I’ve created our own circle called 21 Day Hero Fasters – feel free to join this one!
- Collection of intermittent fasting articles and videos. Under the ‘Learn’ tab, you will find the ‘Learning Library’: plenty of science-backed information on intermittent fasting and other similar health topics and how to make this journey more successful.
- Feed feature. You also have your feed, which will fill up with posts from your fellow fasters in your circles. You can post your own updates, interact with others and simply follow each other’s journey. One of the key components needed to achieve the results you’re looking for!
- Your fasting statistics. In the ‘Profile’ section, you will have your fasting statistics all in one place. It even shows the hours in ketosis part, which is basically the part during which Intermittent Fasting does its magic.
The main version of this intermittent fasting app is free, but it also offers premium services like biomarker blood tests and real-time health coaching.
Finally, little birdies from the LIFE Fasting app told me that soon they will have a scale integration, which will make weight tracking automatic. Also, you can use the login of LIFE Fasting app to their other app called LIFE Extend, which helps you to track a lot more than just fasting.
Download LIFE FASTING TRACKER APP:
- Custom fasting presets
- Fast with Friends (coming soon)
- Weight Tracking (with reminders)
- Hydration tracking (with reminders)
- Mood Tracking (with reminders)
- Integration with Google Fit
- 200+ low-carb recipes
PRICE: Free (Premium features for $9.99/year)
One of the underdogs in the game of fasting tracking apps, but with many unique features, I can see it becoming one of the most popular apps in the near future.
These are the main reasons to get Fasten app:
- Fasting on your own with custom presets. You use the fasting tracker to fast on your own and choose from 8 different protocols, including Circadian, OMAD and “custom” up to 7 days.
- Fast with friends (coming soon). One of the features that the developer of Fasten was really excited about is called ‘Fast with Friends’, which will introduce the concept of Live Fast. Soon you will able to fast at the same exact time and for the same duration together with your buddies/other app users and hold each other accountable. Really excited to see this coming and try it out!
- Weight tracking. Weight is part of your tracking setup too – just set your current weight in pounds or kilos and log your weight as often as you like.
- Tracking of water intake. You can activate hydration tracking, which will help to ensure you stay hydrated. It can help you track your water, tea and coffee consumption and will also remind you when you didn’t have enough. Not drinking enough water is one of the most common intermittent fasting mistakes, so this will help you to avoid making it.
- Mood Tracking. Tracking your mental health is as important as physical. With the mood tracking, you can keep a log of our emotional state during the fast, so you could draw some conclusions and make decisions.
- Google Fit integration. The app also integrates with Google Fit, to have your fasting data synced with your physical activity. Really handy, because weight loss is a balance of a great diet and proper physical exercise.
- Access to 200+ low-carb recipes. Super useful feature and what’s great about it is that you can only access them during your ‘eating’ window, so the pics of a perfect cheese-cauliflower pizza doesn’t make the fasting any harder than it should be 🙂
Download FASTEN App:
4. Zero Calories Fasting Tracker
These are the main reasons to get Zero Calories Fasting Tracker app:
- Flexible fasting times. You can choose between the most popular fasting schedules or create a custom one.
- Fasting history. You can easily access your fasting history and have all the stats in one place.
- Multiple tracking options. You can track not only your fasting times but also log in your daily water consumption, body measurements, weight, ketones, body fat and ketone levels etc. Great features for those who want to keep a close look at how their body changes over the days and weeks.
Zero Calories Fasting Tracker is free, but you will see ads at the bottom part of the app most of the time. It has a premium version that allows you to remove ads or buy an option to store the data in the cloud and visualize it on the PC.
5. Fasting Tracker
These are the main reasons to get Fasting Tracker app:
- Option for various fasting schedules. DoFasting has 7 fasting schedule presets and an option to set custom fast.
- Fasting and weight history. You can track and see a history of the two main important measurements- fasting times and weight.
- Simple and easy to use. The app has just a few main features. Thus if you’re looking for a simple fasting tracking app not overloaded with features you won’t use anyway, this might be the one.
This intermittent fasting app is free to use, however it does have full-screen ads popping up that can be removed for $1.99. Fasting Tracker app is currently only available on Android.
These are the main reasons to get Zero fasting app:
- Flexible fasting times. Zero fasting app lets you pick from popular intermittent fasting types or create your own custom fast.
- History, stats and notes on your fasts and weight. You can check your fasting and weight statistics and also leave post-fast notes.
- Useful information on intermittent fasting. In the app, you will find studies, articles, videos and podcasts to learn more about the intermittent fasting lifestyle.
Zero is one of the most popular apps both on App Store and Google Play. It’s available for free on both stores.
Want to know more about Intermittent Fasting?
Alright, folks, I hope you appreciate the efforts of the research and it gave you some insights into the apps mentioned.
In fact, if you wish to get started right now but need more guidance and support where and how to start exactly, sign up for our 21 Day Intermittent Fasting Challenge and get to know everything you need to successfully master the intermittent fasting diet and lifestyle.
* these apps have sponsored this article. However, I would have included them anyway, because these are great apps that will help to make your intermittent fasting journey easier.
Looking for a gift that will put a smile on your keto or intermittent fasting friends face? We’ve got you! Take a look at the top 20 gifts for people doing intermittent fasting and keto.
Curious if Intermittent Fasting for women is safe and effective? Read this to learn how to start Intermittent Fasting and avoid any possible side effects.
Want to improve your life with Intermittent Fasting but don’t know how to start? Check out this 21 Day Intermittent Fasting Plan to help you kick off and get all the answers you ever had on Intermittent Fasting.
RESEARCH and TEXT BY:
Spread the word
GET FASTING DRINK LIST CHEATSHEET