We will also provide some insights into our favorite brands and other tips from 21 Day Hero kitchen!
What protein powder to choose?
When choosing protein powders (read more about the pros and cons of protein powder here) we are extremely careful about two things: ingredients and nutritional value.
In particular, we look for these things:
- FastingForFitnes Organic Plant Coconut Protein+ – vegan, organic, low GI clean protein with coconut, spinach, and blueberry powders & no sugar or sweeteners. Has a slightly earthy taste hence best to be mixed with berries and coconut water.
- PlantFusion Complete Plant Protein (Vanilla Bean) – vegan protein with 4.5g of BCAAs, 3.35g of L-glutamine and 100mg of an enzyme blend (per scoop) for better digestion. Great price to quality ratio, sweetened with fructose and stevia.
- Vega Sport Performance Protein (Vanilla) (we also love berry) – best taste of all vegan powders we tried, includes 6 g of BCAAs, 6 g Glutamine, and Turmeric Tart Cherry Probiotics. Sweetened with stevia.
- FastingForFitness Organic Whey Coconut Protein+ with coconut and baobab powder – a perfect base for those who look for a low GI, additives free (no sugar, no sweeteners) protein.
- Dymatize Nutrition ISO100 Hydrolyzed 100% Whey Protein Isolate (Gourmet Vanilla) – with 5.5g of BCAAs (per scoop) perfect for post-workout recovery, sweetened with sucralose and steviol glycosides (stevia).
- California Gold Nutrition Whey Protein Isolate (unflavored) – extremely clean whey protein without any additives and very high in protein (1 scoop has 27g of protein). Excellent price to quality ratio.
BONUS: 5 ULTIMATE Smoothie Tips
- Add 2-3 ice cubes for more volume, guilt-free creaminess & frozenness
- Add 1 tsp of psyllium husk to thicken your smoothie and make it into a smoothie bowl (just ca 6 kcal per tsp!)
- Use frozen bananas – let them ripen before freezing for extra sweetness (also a great base for sugar-free banana nice cream)
- Replace fruits with greens of choice (kale, spinach, swiss chard) to reduce carbs
- Add wheat bran for extra fiber that will keep you full longer and help to lose weight, read more here.
4 TOP Protein smoothie recipes
1. REGULAR PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Nutritional value: ~354 kcal, 33g of protein, 9g of fat, 41g of carbs thereof 9g of dietary fiber.
- 1 scoop of whey protein (we used Dymatize Vanilla protein)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp of coconut butter
- 1 tbsp of flax seed
- 2 tbsp of wheat bran
- ½ dl cows milk (2% fat)
- 1 ½ dl water
“When choosing protein powders we are extremely careful about two things: ingredients and nutritional value. “
2. VEGAN PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
Nutritional value: ~307 kcal, 22.5g of protein, 7.5g of fat, 47g of carbs thereof 13.5g of dietary fiber.
- 1 scoop vegan protein (we used Organic Plant Coconut Protein+ with organic spinach and blueberry powders)
- A handful of spinach / frozen spinach
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 2 tbsp wheat bran
- 1 tsp coconut butter
- 200 ml coconut water