What is Pre Workout | How To Use Pre Workout | Do Pre Workout Break Intermittent Fasting | 3 Best Pre Workouts For Intermittent Fasting
Does Pre Workout Break a Fast? We will cover all you need to know about pre workout & intermittent fasting. Do you want to start working out during your fasting period? Do you want to get that kick of energy to pump you up before you hit the gym? Then a pre workout supplement would be your best choice. However, with intermittent fasting, picking a good pre-workout supplement can be difficult.
During intermittent fasting, the main aim is to consume no calories so that your blood sugar levels are not raised at all. So, how will you be able to consume pre-workout for intermittent fasting? Well, we cover this and more below, so keep reading.
Does Pre Workout Break a Fast?
Short answer, yes and no. It depends on many factors, certain pre workout supplements and powders contain calories that can break your fast, others do not. If you want to maintain your fast avoid pre workout supplements with sugar and other fillers.
What is Pre Workout?
Pre-workouts or pre workout supplements are dietary supplements that give energy to the users. These supplements lead to improvement in energy during the workout and help in faster recovery. Many pieces of research have shown the link between multi-ingredient pre-workout supplements and enhanced performance.
These pre-workouts come in pill or powder form that can be taken along with water. There are various ingredients in a pre-workout that work together to create a formula that helps in improving focus, lowering fatigue, helping gain strength, and increasing lean body mass. Some of the most common ingredients in a pre-workout are caffeine, creatine, amino acids, vitamin B, and some artificial sweeteners.
How do the pre-workout ingredients work in synergy to boot performance?
- Caffeine– One of the common ingredients in a pre-workout blend is caffeine. Caffeine is known to increase alertness and accuracy along with endurance. Caffeine in the body causes widening of the blood vessels or vasodilation that helps increase the blood flow so that more oxygen exchange takes place in the muscles.
- Creatine– One of the most common amino acids that are found in pre-workout formulas is creatine. It gives a sudden boost of energy to the body, especially for high-intensity training as well as weightlifting. It also aids in a faster recovery time.
- Beta-Alanine– It is another amino acid that helps the muscles in working for longer durations. Beta-Alanine acts as a Ph buffer to avoid muscle acidosis so that the muscles can keep working for longer durations.
- Other Amino Acids– Other amino acids usually found in pre-workout supplements include BCAA Powder (see our Top 5 BCAAs for Intermittent Fasting Article) , Glutamine, and L-Citrulline. These amino acids work to give more energy, help in muscle recovery, and also aids muscle building.
Some people use these supplements individually, but when combined in the form of a pre-workout supplement, they will help not only in giving a boost to the body during workouts but also aid in better performance.
How to Use Pre Workout & Intermittent Fasting?
Pre-workouts are usually available in the form of powders. These powders can be taken with water 30 minutes before a workout to get digested and assimilated into your body. However, if you are someone who practices prolonged exercise sessions, then sipping on your pre-workout in parts can be helpful to maintain the energy throughout. You can take half of the supplements 30 minutes before the workout and the half in between.
Pre workout & Intermittent fasting – which products break the fast?
It is common knowledge that anything that raises your blood sugar level can break a fast.
So, does pre workout break intermittent fasting?
Well, this question depends on one factor: the ingredients inside a pre-workout supplement that you are taking. A lot of pre-workouts come with sweeteners and have carbohydrates that can surely raise your blood glucose levels. Not only this, but some amino acids can also kick your body out of its fasting state.
The answer to the question: can you take pre-workout while intermittent fasting is not simple. If we consider pre-workouts as a whole, then yes, they can. However, if you avoid certain substances and choose pre-workout formulas with the right ingredients, you will be able to reap the benefits of pre-workouts without breaking your fast.
The intermittent fasting pre-workout ingredients that you should avoid are:
- Sugars, carbohydrates, and artificial sweeteners – These include things such as dextrose, sucralose, flavoring agents, as well as natural sweeteners.
- Whey or any other kind of protein
- Amino acids – We know that amino acids are among the most common ingredients in pre-workouts, but some amino acids can throw the body out of the fasting state. So, the amino acids that pre-workout intermittent fasting should not have are BCCA, threonine, lysine, phenylalanine, methionine, histidine, tryptophan, tyrosine, arginine, cysteine, alanine, glycine, asparagine, proline, serine, glutamine, aspartic acid, and glutamic acid.
However, the ingredients that you can consume are Beta-alanine, betaine, creatine, carnitine, D-aspartic acid, caffeine, and citrulline malate.
To understand more about which beverages can break your fast and which you can consider drinking in your fasting window, read What Breaks A Fast? All You Need To Know On Intermittent Fasting Drinks.
Best Pre Workout supplements For Intermittent Fasting That You Can Use?
So, now we have the answer to ‘can you drink pre-workout while intermittent fasting?’. And now, all you need to do is to find the right pre-workout formula for you. However, it is time-consuming to look at the ingredient list for all the pre-workout formulas. So, we have made it simple for you. Here are the three best pre-workouts for intermittent fasting that you can take without breaking your fasting.
1. Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout Formula (Award Winner – 21DayHero)
This is an AMAZING supplement I’ve been using for years. I get incredible workouts and stamina with this formula. 100% natural formula with some effective ingredients makes the Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout one of the best in the market. It’s vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, no soy, and has no artificial colors, additives, and preservatives. The formula has some innovative ingredients, including Rednight Red Beetroot Powder that improves performance, setria performance blend glutathione + L-Citrulline that protects the muscle tissues and supports the immune system.
The caffeine in Pre Lab Pro Next-Gen Pre-Workout formula is from natural coffee seeds. Also, what is good about this pre-workout is that the dosage and ingredients for each are mentioned clearly on the website to show that they are safe for regular usage.
Why Get It?
- One of the safest and cleanest pre-workouts available in the market
- Made with all-natural products, and is also suitable for people with intermittent fasting
- No artificial colors, synthetic preservatives, gluten, and animal-based ingredients
- Tastes good and has lots of natural ingredients
- Targets three pathways that help get high energy and promote smarter homeostasis so that you do not have that immediate energy drop after your workout
2. Alani Pre-Workout Powder for Energy & Pump – Sugar-Free
- Packed with 200 mg of caffeine to provide energy during workouts and training sessions, and with 1.6g of Beta-Alanine, 6g of Citrulline, 500mg of L-Tyrosine to support your goals. Packaging may vary
- 100% transparent ingredients means no proprietary blends, so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body
- Take before your workout for sustained energy and endurance to help achieve your fitness goals
- Multiple delicious flavors available, all packed with the nutrients you need and none of the fillers that you don’t. Crush your goals and build strength everyday
- Pre-workout powder is banned substance tested and is manufactured in a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) compliant facility. We care about the products you put into your body
Why Get It?
- Various flavors!
- Sugar Free
- Provides increased muscle strength, mental focus, and sustained energy without any crash
If you are working out to lose weight and want something that can aid it, then the C4 Ripped Sports Pre-workout is the best for you. It is one of the most famous pre-workout amongst athletes as well as people who regularly use pre-workout.
The formula not only gives you a boost during your workout at the gym but will also help in burning fat faster and helps in the preservation of lean muscle. It is sugar-free, and NSF certified, which means it is suitable for both professionals and beginners. Just follow the serving size on the box, and you will be good to go.
Why Get It?
- It has only 5 kcal per serving, which will not break your fast
- It is made with all clean ingredients and is vegetarian
- It helps to give explosive energy, improve muscle endurance, and also helps cut fat
- It is third-party tested that ensures its safety
- It tastes incredible even without any sugar
Conclusion – Pre Workout & Intermittent Fasting
The question we tried to answer was what effects pre workout & intermittent fasting? And the answer to this is ‘it depends’. Various ingredients in the pre-workout supplements can break the fast. Still, if you avoid those ingredients, you can safely consume pre-workouts during your fast without worrying about getting out of the fasting state. There a lot of pre workout supplements out there, do your research as well.
Try to go for more natural ingredients. If you still are skeptical about taking pre-workouts, having black coffee before your workout can also give you a slight kick due to its caffeine component.
Need an APP on your Mobile to help with Fasting? See our Top 6 FREE and Premium Fasting Apps