what is MCT Oil | How to use | mct oil & FASTING | mct oil in coffee | how to choose | best MCT oils
Best MCT Oils for fasting? MCT oil has become a popular intermittent fasting and keto diet supplement. Nowadays, you can find MCT oil in creamy Bulletproof fasting coffee, coconut flavored smoothies and keto-friendly snacks.
Whether you are doing intermittent fasting and looking to increase energy, reduce food cravings, or boost weight loss, MCT oil promises to help achieve that. So, what is this wonder oil you’ve been hearing about?
We answered some of the burning questions you might have on your mind:
- What is MCT oil?
- How to use MCT oil while intermittent fasting?
- Does MCT oil break intermittent fasting?
- How to use MCT oil in coffee
- How to choose MCT oil?
To try out this trendy intermittent fasting supplement, we also narrowed down the 5 best MCT oils, powders and capsules for better weight loss results.
Keep scrolling! It’s time to find the best MCT oil for your creamy fasting coffee.
What is MCT Oil?
MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil is made out of a type of fat found in certain dairy products and oils like coconut and palm oil.
MCT molecules are smaller than those in most of the fats you eat and, unlike other fats, they go straight from the gut to the liver. From here, they are used as a source of energy or turned into ketones.
To see how MCT oil can be used for weight loss, it’s worth understanding the precious moment when our bodies enter the weight loss stage called ketosis.
When digesting food, carbs in the food break down into a type of sugar called glucose. Usually, this would be the primary fuel in the body to generate energy. However, when there are no glucose stores left in the body, it enters a process called ketosis. It means your body is starting to burn fat to make compounds called ketones, which it can use for fuel.
There are two ways to get your body into ketosis and start burning fat.
One way would be to stop eating until the body uses all the glucose stores and starts burning ketones a.k.a. fat instead. This can be done by practicing intermittent fasting.
Another way to get into ketosis is by following the keto diet. It is a diet low in carbs, high in fats and moderate in protein. MCT oil is an excellent supplement for keto diet as it’s pure fat; therefore, it won’t kick you out of ketosis.
Does MCT Oil in Coffee Break Intermittent Fasting?
The Simple answer is YES, MCT Oil in Coffee will break your fast. In order to not break the fast, you should use MCT oil only during your eating window. There are amazing benefits to using MCT in Coffee to break your fast, and will fuel your brain and body with healthy fats.
If you’re sticking to a strict intermittent fasting regime, having any caloric food or drink means you break the fast.
1 tablespoon of MCT oil contains 14g of fat, which translates to 120 calories.
MCT oil and intermittent fasting is a great match. However, there are a couple of things to know before you add MCT oil to your fasting regime.
How to use MCT oil when doing intermittent fasting
There are various ways to incorporate MCT oil in an intermittent fasting lifestyle to lose more weight. Let’s look at a few options.
#1 Have a Bulletproof coffee with MCT oil to break your fast
If during intermittent fasting your body has reached the fat burning stage ketosis, consuming pure fat won’t kick you out of it.
That’s why many bulletproof intermittent fasting practitioners swap their first meal with bulletproof coffee. Often this would mean having bulletproof coffee with MCT oil for breakfast. This approach curbs hunger while keeping the body in ketosis to continue burning fat.
Here are simple instructions on how to make MCT oil bulletproof coffee.
Mix 1 cup of coffee, 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil and 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee. Use a blender to blitz the ingredients for 30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte. Enjoy your filling and energizing MCT oil coffee!
#2 Use MCT oil during your eating window
Studies have shown that MCT oil fills people up faster, so they end up eating less overall. Since they become satisfied sooner, people who take MCT oil consume fewer calories, which results in more weight loss.
Sounds promising, right? Even though you can’t use MCT oil while fasting, there are plenty of ways to add it to your diet during the eating window.
MCT oil in bulletproof coffee might be the most popular option but here are more ideas on how to use MCT oil:
- Mix MCT oil in salad dressings, toppings, and marinades
- Add MCT oil to smoothies. protein shakes or just mix it with milk
- Make keto-friendly desserts with MCT oil
- Drizzle MCT oil on top of your meal
- Use MCT capsules and take it with water
MCT Oil can be used for low to mid-temperature cooking. However, it’s important to know that MCT oil has a low smoke point, so it is not suitable for cooking over 320°F or 160°C.
How to choose MCT oil
Ready to try this trendy intermittent fasting supplement for weight loss? Let’s look into a few things to check before choosing the best MCT oil for you.
Form of MCT oil supplement
MCT oil comes in 3 different forms. Consider what would be the most convenient way to use MCT oil. Here are your options:
- Liquid MCT Oil. This is what probably came in your mind when thinking of MCT Oil. It’s MCT is a form of liquid oil. This suits the best for bulletproof coffee, salad dressings, topping your meals or any other way if you don’t mind the oily texture.
- MCT Oil Powder is easier to transport and more convenient for mixing and cooking purposes. In bulletproof coffee, MCT powder would give creamier texture.
- MCT Oil Capsules are more suited for people on keto diet. They won’t have the benefit of curbing hunger but will boost ketones and act as fuel for the brain and body.
What else to look for in MCT oil?
- GMO-Free. When you’re looking for the best MCT oil, make sure that it’s free from chemicals, GMOs, and fillers. Consuming these harmful chemicals can not only mess with your weight loss but also affect your health negatively. To ensure you are selecting the best MCT oil, look for a USDA Organic or Non-GMO Project Verified product.
- Hexane-Free. Although hexane is used in extracting oil, you should make sure that your MCT oil is hexane-free. You’ll be consuming a relatively large amount of your MCT oil, and you want to avoid ingesting any harmful or unnecessary chemicals.
- Flavor. MCT Oil derived from coconuts generally have a naturally nutty, coconut flavor. If you’re not a fan of coconut flavor, check for flavored MCT oils or those marked as flavorless.
The 5 Best MCT Oils For Intermittent Fasting And Keto Diet
MCT oil has become a popular supplement to intermittent fasting and keto diet. Still, you might not find MCT oil in most stores, therefore the most convenient place to buy MCT oil is online.
Various MCT oil brands that produce great, high-quality products. To make your choice easier, we have narrowed down 5 best MCT oils for you to choose from.
Our criteria were quality of ingredients, online reviews and brand popularity. We also included all 3 forms of MCT oils so you will find the best MCT powder, capsules and oil.
5 Best MCT Oils For Intermittent Fasting And Keto Diet:
#1 Performance Lab: Organic MCT Oil (21DayHero Award Winner)
Performance Lab MCT Oil checks all the boxes when looking for the best MCT oil for intermittent fasting. It’s made from non-GMO coconuts, certified as USDA organic and cold-extracted with hexane-free technology. This ensures you will have the best quality MCT oil to fuel your body.
It has a neutral flavor, therefore mixes easily into coffee, shakes, smoothies, dressings. MCT in the form of oil usually is more concentrated than MCT powders. It is advised to use one tablespoon of Performance Lab MCT Oil, therefore one bottle will last you for a while.
Why I Liked It:
- High-quality MCT oil that’s non-GMO and certified organic
- Neutral flavor that allows for versatile use
- Great for salad dressings, bulletproof coffee or to drizzle on food
#2 Perfect Keto: MCT Oil Powder
If you’re looking for the best MCT oil for coffee, this is the one. You will get slightly sweet, creamy MCT coffee that will keep you full for at least a few hours. Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder is made from real coconuts and is entirely free from any kind of artificial sweeteners.
They have a great selection of flavors – chocolate, vanilla, salted caramel, matcha latte and unflavored one. Chocolate flavored MCT powder will turn almond milk into creamy chocolate milk. You can also use this MCT oil powder in baked or raw desserts or sneak it into stews, soups, sauces, and creams since it’s flavorless and acts as a thickening agent.
Why I Liked It:
- Creamy texture when added to coffee or any other liquid
- Clean product with no artificial sweeteners or additives
- Variety of yummy flavors to choose from
#3 Bulletproof: C8 MCT Oil
Bulletproof is one of the best MCT oil brands out there. They produce various types of MCT oils but this one is made from Caprylic acid (C8), which supposedly converts into ketones the most efficiently.
Even though this C8 MCT oil is made out of 100% coconuts, it is completely flavorless. It will be a great substitute for other oils and fit in your breakfast bulletproof coffee just right.
Even though it’s not certified organic, Bulletproof MCT oils are free from harsh chemicals like hexane and made in the USA, making it one of the best C8 MCT oils.
Why I Liked It:
- Great choice if you’re looking for C8 MCT oil
- Completely flavorless making it an excellent addition to any kind of drink or food
- Big loyal customer base online
#4 Sports Research Organic MCT Oil
Another high-quality product from a popular brand Sports research. Awesome MCT’s and Organic! Great with shakes, coffee, or just straight up.
Why I Liked It:
- One of the most popular MCT oil capsules on the market
- High-quality ingredients with no harmful additives
- Convenient way to increase daily fat intake when on keto diet
#5 Viva Naturals: Organic MCT Oil
This is one of the best MCT oils on Amazon, with a lot of high-rated reviews. It’s derived from Non-GMO Coconuts, flavorless and odorless, which is perfect if you’re not a fan of coconut taste. It will fit in great with any kind of food, drink and, of course, the famous MCT Oil Bulletproof coffee.
Why I Liked It:
- Popular and high-review MCT oil on Amazon
- Odorless and flavorless
- Organic formulation!
I hope you enjoyed the 5 Best MCT Oils For Intermittent Fasting And Keto Diet
Also need help fasting? Check out the Best Intermittent Fasting Mobile Apps we recommend to help you on your journey.
MCT Oil and Does MCT Oil in Coffee Break Intermittent Fasting?
We covered it in and out, MCT oil is amazing to use to break a fast, with the healthy fats, and YES it does break a fast when used in Coffee. So its the perfect drink to have with MCT oil to fuel your brain for the busy day to come!
Looking to finally kick-start your weight loss? We’ve got something for you! 21-day Intermittent Fasting Challenge that has helped hundreds of people successfully lose and sustain (!) their dream weight.
Best part? The challenge comes with a customized intermittent fasting meal plan to ensure you know exactly what and when to eat!