habit Building 101:
Where to start if you want to
build or BREAK habits?
By Tauras Sinkus
Habit building science is extremely fascinating. Just think about it, most of our decisions are influenced by our habits, without us even realizing it. Hence, to be able to improve our lives and maintain a healthy life, we need to understand the driving force behind it – habits and how they are formed.
The central question that drives all our work at 21 Day Hero is, “How can we use habit formation science to improve our lives?”. To answer that question, we are constantly updating our knowledge by reading self-improvement books, latest articles and studies, interviewing influential people in the habit building area and experimenting with the latest additions to the self-improvement game.
So let us share all the great information and tools we have gathered so far…
Habits definition and the importance of good habits
Habit, in simple terms, is a behavior pattern, a routine that you perform automatically without even thinking.
For example, brushing your teeth before going to bed is a habit that you have formed over years and I bet you are doing it almost automatically every night.
Or grabbing your phone once you need a distraction and scrolling through social media updates.
Or even locking your door when you leave the house.
Self-improvement starts with understanding your habits and what drives them. Hence, if you are looking to lose weight, eat healthier, start exercising, meditating, get rid of social media addiction and/or stop procrastinating – you should always start with analysing and upgrading your habits.
OUR Articles on Habit Building
- The Definitive Guide on How to Replace Bad Habits and Build Good Ones that Stick for Life: the most complete and detailed guide we have written on habit building, including topics on:
- How habits are formed
- The habit loop
- How to build and break habits
- 5 keystone habits
- 10 tips for successful habit building
- Morning Routines: The Ultimate Guide to Your Best Morning Ritual: comprehensive research of top 60 successful people, their morning routines and what you can learn from them.
- Fixed Mindset vs. Growth Mindset: how to strengthen your growth mindset to become more successful
top habit tracking resources
- Building Healthy Habits: 100 Resources for Your Habit Forming Journey: summarizes all top leading habit building resources including:
- 37 habit building and tracking apps
- 17 best books on habit building
- 13 leading universities, specializing in behavior science
- 11 leading habit researchers
- 4 Youtube channels
- 5 podcasts
- 13 blogs
- Top 31 Habit Tracking Apps to Build Any Habit: a comprehensive summary of the best habit tracking apps, their pricing, rating, and features.
interviews with habit building experts:
- Interview with Carter Good on How Goal of the Weight Loss Journey Is Not to be Perfect But to be Consistent. Carter, a well-known weight loss coach, shares how to build a habit of weight loss.
- Interview with Ryder Caroll on How Bullet Journal Method Changes People’s Lives. Ryder, the creator of the Bullet Journal Method, shares how to live with more intent, organization, and more meaning.
- Interview with Alexander Heyne on How to Get into the Habit of Feeling Good. Alexander, a hugely successful Youtuber, shares how to build habits and why starting small is more important than going big.
- Interview with Evan Carmichael on how to build self-confidence, respect and credibility. Evan has helped many 1 billion entrepreneurs to unlock human potential and shares his tips on how to consistently feel bold and unstoppable.
- Interview with Ed Rush on How to Change Anything in 3 Short Weeks. Ed, a former F-18 fighter and successful business coach shares his formula to the road to success.
tools to reduce distraction:
how we got into habit building - our personal stories:
- How My Failed Startup Made Me the Healthiest Version of Myself: Tauras story on how he discovered habit building and built up his morning routine
- How do I Work Out with a Busy Schedule: Dovile’s story on how she built up an early morning workout routine and her best tips.